7.16.2010

ARTIST OF THE WEEK: Dominique Young Unique


DOMINIQUE YOUNG UNIQUE is a 19 year old Florida native rapper. She is most commonly compared to artists like M.I.ASantigoldRye Rye, and Kid Sister. But I have to think, is that because they are all minority women who incorporate electro into their hip hop tinged flows, or because that is the group she fits in with the quickest? To me, I would say sounds more like she's been influenced by Lil' KimTrina, and Nikki Minaj, mostly because of her dirty, dirty lyrics.



                                 Dominique Young Unique-CEO Girl by Toast Press

Of course, you can't help but to notice all the similarities to the others (Rye Rye fo sho), too. Honestly though, her name doesn't have Unique in it for show. She can back that namesake up. The reason why I can get her shit out of my head is because she can hold her own on vocals against the AMAZING tracks produced by David Alexander, producer for Yo! Majesty. Alexander was introduced to DYU through Shunda K. of Yo! Majesty, and after some time Dominique signed to David Alexander's small British label, Art Jam. She has been working on tracks since she was 17,  and has released a mixtape, Dominiation, and an EP Blaster, that came out in May.


Dominique started creating a stir on the music scene when she preformed at the SXSW festival in March. She was even featured in The Rolling Stones because of the event. Then blogs started spreading the word about DYU after her first music video for "Show My Ass" came out in April.



As for me, I came across this mash up by The Hood Internet  a couple of days ago that caught my attention. I began researching Dominique Young Unique like crazy and knew that she was one to watch.


You can download her full mixtape below. My favs are "Blaster" and "War Talk".

The Hood Internet - I'm In Love With A Hot Girl (Dominique Young Unique x YACHT) by hoodinternet Dominique Young Unique - Domination by Toast Press

1 comment: